Publications from the IDEAS Center Faculty, 2011-2017
Since 2011, the faculty of the IDEAS Center has published over 250 peer-reviewed articles on the implementation of evidence-based practices in state systems, particularly as they relate to family support, the implementation of evidence-based treatments for various mental disorders, and school-based mental health.
Click here to download a list of all IDEAS Center publications (2011-2017). All publications and presentations appear below, by year of publication. A NIH new tool, iCite, also allows for the calculation of publication metrics to assess the impact of NIH funded research. Click here to see the impact of IDEAS faculty research!
You can also search for individual faculty publications by clicking here, a service provided by the NYU Health Sciences library.
Publications (Articles, Chapters, and Books) – 2011
- Cavaleri MA, Olin SS, Kim A, Hoagwood KE, Burns BJ. Family support in prevention programs for children at risk for emotional/behavioral problems. Clin Child Fam Psychol Rev. 2011; 14(4): 399-412.
- Gogel LP, Cavaleri MA, Gardin II JG, Wisdom JP. Retention and ongoing participation in residential substance abuse treatment: Perspectives from adolescents, parents and staff on barriers and facilitators during the treatment process. J Beh Health Serv Res. 2011; 38(4), 488-496.
- Gopalan G, Dean-Assael K, Klingenstein K, Chacko A, McKay MM. Caregiver depression and youth disruptive behavior difficulties. Soc Work Ment Health. 2011; 9(1): 56-70. PMCID: PMC3027057.
- Gopalan G, Bannon W, Dean-Assael K, et al. …McKay M. Multiple Family Groups: An engaging mental health intervention for child welfare involved families. Child Welf. 2011; 90(4): 135-156. PMCID: PMC3313081.
- Gudiño OG, Nadeem E, Kataoka SH, Lau AS. Relative impact of violence exposure and immigrant stressors on Latino youth psychopathology. J Commun Psychol. 2011; 39(3): 316-335.
- Kataoka S, Jaycox LH, Wong M, Nadeem E, Langley A, Tang L, Stein BD. Effects on school outcomes in low-income minority youth: Preliminary findings from a community-partnered study of a school trauma intervention. Ethn Dis. 2011; 21: S1-58-S1-70.
- McKay MM, Gopalan G, Franco L, et al. …Chacko A. A collaboratively designed child mental health service model: Multiple family groups for urban children with conduct difficulties. Res Soc Work Pract. 2011; 21(6), 664-674. PMCID: PMC3243310.
- Nadeem E, Jaycox LH, Kataoka SH, Langley AK, Stein BD. Going to scale: Experiences implementing a school-based trauma intervention. School Psych Rev. 2011; 40(4): 549-568.
- Nadeem E, Kataoka SH, Chang VY, Vona P, Wong M, Stein BD. The role of teachers in school-based suicide prevention: A qualitative study of school staff perspectives. J School Ment Health. 2011; 3(4): 209-221.
- Rodriguez J, Olin SS, Hoagwood KE, et al. … Burton G. The development and evaluation of a parent empowerment program for family peer advocates. J Child Fam Stud. 2011; 20(4): 397-405. doi: 10.1007/s10826-010-9405-4.
- Wisdom JP, Olin S, Shorter P, Burton G, Hoagwood K. Family peer advocates: A pilot study of the content and process of service provision. J Child Fam Stud. 2011; 20(6): 833-843.
Publications (Articles, Chapters, and Books) – 2012
- Aarons GA, Glisson C, Green PD, Hoagwood K, Kelleher KJ, Landsverk JA. The organizational social context of mental health services and clinician attitudes toward evidence-based practice: A United States national study. Implement Sci. 2012; 7(1):56. PMCID: PMC3444886.
- Acri MC, Gogel LP, Pollock M, Wisdom JP. What adolescents need to prevent relapse after treatment for substance abuse: A comparison of youth, parent, and staff perspectives. J Child Adoles Subst. 2012; (21), 117-129. PMCID: PMC3979558.
- Alegria M, Lin J, Chen CN, Duan N, Cook B, Meng XL. The impact of insurance coverage in diminishing racial and ethnic disparities in behavioral health services. Health Serv Res. 2012; 47(3pt2): 1322-1344. PMCID: PMC3418830.
- Alicea S, Pardo G, Conover K, Gopalan G, McKay M. Step-up: promoting youth mental health and development in inner-city high schools. Clin Soc Work J. 2012; 40(2): 175-186. PMCID: PMC3616766.
- Almirall D, Compton SN, Gunlicks‐Stoessel M, Duan N, Murphy SA. Designing a pilot sequential multiple assignment randomized trial for developing an adaptive treatment strategy. Stat Med. 2012; 31(17): 1887-1902. PMCID: PMC3399974.
- Arnold LE, Mount K, Frazier T, Demeter C, et al. …Horwitz S. Pediatric bipolar disorder and ADHD: Family history comparison in the LAMS clinical sample. J Affect Disord. 2012; 141(2): 382-389. PMCID: PMC3574899.
- Baker-Ericzén MJ, Connelly CD, Hazen AL, Dueñas C, Landsverk JA, Horwitz SM. A collaborative care telemedicine intervention to overcome treatment barriers for Latina women with depression during the perinatal period. Fam Syst Health. 2012; 30(3): 224. PMCID: PMC3780578.
- Bannon WM, Beharie N, Olshtain-Mann O, et al. … McKay MM… Cavaleri MA. Youth substance use in a context of family homelessness. Child Youth Serv Rev. 2012; 34(1), 1-7. PMCID: PMC3415269.
- Brecht CJ, Shaw RJ, St John NH, Horwitz SM. Effectiveness of therapeutic and behavioral interventions for parents of low-birth-weight premature infants: A review. Infant Ment Health J. 2012; 33(6), 651-665.
- Brister T, Cavaleri MA, Olin SS, Shen S, Burns BJ, Hoagwood KE. An evaluation of the NAMI basics program. J Child Fam Stud. 2012; 21(3): 439-442.
- Cavaleri MA, Wisdom JP, Olin SS, Eyberg S, Hoagwood KE. Parent-Child Interaction Therapy: Systematic review. [Technical Report]. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration for Assessing the Evidence Base: Review Series. 2012.
- Chor KH, McClelland GM, Weiner DA, Jordan N, Lyons JS. Predicting outcomes of children in residential treatment: A comparison of a decision support algorithm and a multidisciplinary team decision model. Child Youth Serv Rev. 2012; 34(12): 2345-2352.
- Frazier SL, Chacko A, Van Gessel C, O’Boyle C, Pelham WE. The summer treatment program meets the south side of Chicago: bridging science and service in urban after-school programs. Child Adolesc Ment Health. 2012; 17(2): 86-92. PMCID: PMC3529937.
- Fristad MA, Frazier TW, Youngstrom EA, et al. … Horwitz SM. What differentiates children visiting outpatient mental health services with bipolar spectrum disorder from children with other psychiatric diagnoses?. Bipolar Disord. 2012; 14(5): 497-506. PMCID: PMC3407300.
- Gee L, Peebles R, Golden NH, Storfer-Isser A, Heinberg LJ, Horwitz SM. Language spoken at home and parental birthplace moderate the association of race/ethnicity and distorted weight perception. Clin Pediatr. 2012; 51(12): 1155-1163.
- Goldhaber-Fiebert JD, Bailey SL, Hurlburt MS, et al. …Horwitz SM. Evaluating child welfare policies with decision-analytic simulation models. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2012; 39(6): 466-477. PMCID: PMC3589566.
- Green CA, Wisdom JP, Wolfe L, Firemark A. Engaging youths with serious mental illnesses in treatment: STARS study consumer recommendations. Psychiatr Rehab J. 2012; 35(5), 360-368. PMCID: PMC3536447.
- Gudiño OG, Nadeem E, Kataoka SH, Lau AS. Reinforcement sensitivity and risk for psychopathology following exposure to violence: a vulnerability-specificity model in Latino youth. Child Psychiatry Hum Dev. 2012; 43(2): 306-321. PMCID: PMC3637687.
- Hoagwood KE, Jensen PS, Acri MC, Olin SS, Lewandowski RE, Herman RJ. Outcome domains in child mental health research since 1996: Have they changed and why does it matter? J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2012; 51(12): 1241-1260. PMCID: PMC3513697.
- Hoffman KA, Green CA, Ford II JH, Wisdom JP, Gustafson DH, McCarty D. Improving quality of care in substance abuse treatment using five key process improvement principles. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2012; 39(3), 234-244. PMCID: PMC3495233.
- Horwitz SM, Hurlburt MS, Heneghan A. Mental health problems in young children investigated by US child welfare agencies. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2012; 51(6): 572-581. PMCID: PMC3834350.
- Horwitz S, Demeter C, Hayden M, et al. …Storfer-Isser A. Parents’ perceptions of benefit of children’s mental health treatment and continued services use. Psychiatr Serv. 2012; 63(8): 793-801. PMCID: PMC3448336.
- Horwitz SM, Hurlburt MS, Goldhaber-Fiebert JD. Mental health services use by children investigated by child welfare agencies. Pediatr. 2012; 130(5): 861-869. PMCID: PMC3483894.
- Huffman LC, Wang NE, Saynina O, Wren FJ, Wise PH, Horwitz SM. Predictors of hospitalization after an emergency department visit for California youths with psychiatric disorders. Psychiatr Serv. 2012; 63(9): 896-905.
- Nadeem E. Multi-Dimensional Family Therapy: Systematic review. [Technical Report]. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration for Assessing the Evidence Base: Review Series. 2012
- Rodriguez J, Hoagwood KE, Gopalan G, et al. … Olin S… McKay MM. Engagement in trauma-specific CBT for youth post-9/11. J Emot Behav Disord. 2012; 21(1): 53-65. PMCID: PMC3384551.
- Shaw RJ, Bernard RS, Storfer-Isser A, Rhine W, Horwitz SM. Parental coping in the neonatal intensive care unit. J Clin Psychol Meds. 2012; 20(2): 135-42. PMCID: PMC3578086.
- Wisdom JP, Cavaleri MA, Onwuegbuzie AJ, Green CA. Methodological reporting in qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods health services research articles. Health Serv Res. 2012; 47(2): 721-745. PMCID: PMC3419885.
Publications (Articles, Chapters, and Books) – 2013
- Bearman SK, Weisz JR, Chorpita BF, et al. …Hoagwood K. More practice, less preach? The role of supervision processes and therapist characteristics in EBP implementation. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2013; 40(6): 518-529.
- Beidas RS, Aarons G, Barg F, et al. …Hoagwood K. Policy to implementation: Evidence-based practice in community mental health: Study protocol. Implement Sci. 2013; 8(1): 38. PMCID: PMC3618103.
- Chen Q, Galfalvy H, Duan N. Effects of disease misclassification on exposure–disease association. Am J Pub Health. 2013; 103(5): e67-e73.
- Chronis-Tuscano A, Chacko A, Barkley R. Key issues relevant to the efficacy of behavioral treatment for ADHD: A response to the Sonuga-Barke et al. Meta-analysis of non-pharmacological treatments for ADHD. Am J Psychiatr. 2013; 170(7): 799.
- Connelly CD, Hazen AL, Baker-Ericzén MJ, Landsverk J, Horwitz SM. Is screening for depression in the perinatal period enough? The co-occurrence of depression, substance abuse, and intimate partner violence in culturally diverse pregnant women. J Womens Health (Larchmnt). 2013; 22(10): 844-852. PMCID: PMC3787578.
- Duan N, Kravitz RL, Schmid CH. Single-patient (n-of-1) trials: a pragmatic clinical decision methodology for patient-centered comparative effectiveness research. J Clin Epidem. 2013; 66(8): S21-S28.
- Findling RL, Jo B, Frazier TW, Horwitz SM. The 24-month course of manic symptoms in children. Bipolar Disord. 2013; 5(6): 669-679. PMCID: PMC3762908.
- Gallo KP, Comer JS, Barlow DH. Direct-to-consumer marketing of psychological treatments for anxiety disorders. J Anxiety Disord. 2013; 27(8), 793-801.
- Gearing RE, Schwalbe CS, Lee R, Hoagwood KE. The effectiveness of booster sessions in CBT treatment for child and adolescent mood and anxiety disorders. Depress Anxiety. 2013; 30(9): 800-808.
- Gee L, Peebles R, Storfer-Isser A, Golden NH, Horwitz SM. Underestimation of weight status in California adolescents. Child Obes. 2013; 9(2): 132-136.
- Green JG, McLaughlin KA, Alegría M, et al. …Hoagwood K… Olin S. School mental health resources and adolescent mental health service use. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2013; 52(5): 501-510.
- Hafeman D, Axelson D, Demeter C, et al. …Horwitz SM. Phenomenology of bipolar disorder not otherwise specified in youth: a comparison of clinical characteristics across the spectrum of manic symptoms. Bipolar Disord. 2013; 15(3): 240-252. PMCID: PMC3644315.
- Hayden M, Connelly CD, Baker-Ericzen MJ, Hazen AL, McCue Horwitz S. Exploring perceptions and experiences of maternal depression in latinas: A qualitative study. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2013; 34(3): 180-184.
- Heneghan A, Stein RE, Hurlburt MS, et al. …Horwitz SM. Mental health problems in teens investigated by US child welfare agencies. J Adolesc Health. 2013; 52(5), 634-640.
- Hoagwood K, Atkins M, Ialongo N. Unpacking the black box of implementation: The next generation for policy, research and practice. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2013; 40(6): 451-455. PMCID: PMC3824224.
- Hoagwood K, Olin S, Cleek A. Beyond context to the skyline: Thinking in 3D. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2013; 40(1): 23-28.
- Hoagwood KE. Don't mourn: Organize. Reviving mental health services research for healthcare quality improvement. Clin Psychol: Sci Pract. 2013; 20(1): 120-126.
- Horwitz SM, Hurlburt MS, Heneghan A, et al. Persistence of mental health problems in very young children investigated by US child welfare agencies. Acad Pediatr. 2013; 13(6): 524-530. PMCID: PMC3834350.
- Kowatch RA, Youngstrom EA, Horwitz S, et al. Prescription of psychiatric medications and polypharmacy in the lams cohort. Psychiatr Serv. 2013; 64(10): 1026-1034.
- Lewandowski RE, Acri MC, Hoagwood KE, et al. … Frank S… Horwitz S. Evidence for the management of adolescent depression. Pediatr. 2013; 132(4): e996-e1009.
- Lewis-Fernández R, Raggio GA, Gorritz M, et al. …Duan N. GAP-REACH: A checklist to assess comprehensive reporting of race, ethnicity, and culture in psychiatric publications. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2013; 201(10): 860-871.
- Manber R, Steidtmann D, Chambers AS, Ganger W, Horwitz S, Connelly CD. Factors associated with clinically significant insomnia among pregnant low-income latinas. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2013; 22(8): 694-701. PMCID: PMC3736643.
- Mokrue K, Acri M. Feasibility and effectiveness of a brief cognitive behavioral skills group on an ethnically diverse campus. J College Stud Psychother. 2013; 27(3): 254-269.
- Mohr DC, Cheung K, Schueller SM, Hendricks Brown C, Duan N. Continuous evaluation of evolving behavioral intervention technologies. Am J Prev Med. 2013; 45(4): 517-523. PMCID: PMC3828034.
- Nadeem E, Gleacher A, Beidas R. (2013). Consultation as an implementation strategy for evidence-based practices across multiple contexts: Unpacking the black box. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2013; 40(6): 439-450. PMCID: PMC3795855.
- Nadeem E, Gleacher A, Pimentel S, Hill LC, McHugh M, Hoagwood KE. The role of consultation calls for clinic supervisors in supporting large-scale dissemination of evidence-based treatments for children. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2013; 40(6): 530-540. PMCID: PMC3773003.
- Nadeem E, Olin SS, Hill LC, Hoagwood KE, Horwitz SM. Understanding the components of quality improvement collaboratives: A systematic literature review. Milbank Q. 2013; 91(2): 354-394.
- Palinkas LA, Weisz JR, Chorpita BF, et al. … Hoagwood KE. Continued use of evidence-based treatments after a randomized controlled effectiveness trial: A qualitative study. Psychiatr Serv. 2013; 64(11): 1110-1118.
- Perlman SB, Fournier JC, Bebko G, et al. … Horwitz SM. Emotional face processing in pediatric bipolar disorder: Evidence for functional impairments in the fusiform gyrus. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatr. 2013; 52(12): 1314-1325. PMCID: PMC3881180.
- Shaw RJ, Bernard RS, Storfer-Isser A, Rhine W, Horwitz SM. Parental coping in the neonatal intensive care unit. J Clin Psychol Med Settings. 2013; 20(2), 135-142. PMCID: PMC3578086.
- Shaw RJ, St. John N, Lilo EA, et al. … Horwitz SM. Prevention of traumatic stress in mothers with preterm infants: A randomized controlled trial. Pediatr. 2013; 132(4): e886-e894. PMCID: PMC3784295.
- Shaw RJ, Sweester CJ, St. John N, et al. … Horwitz SM. Prevention of postpartum stress in mothers with preterm infants: Manual development and evaluation. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2013; 34(8): 578-586.
- Stein RE, Hurlburt MS, Heneghan AM, et al. … Horwitz SM. Chronic conditions among children investigated by child welfare: a national sample. Pediatr. 2013; 131(3): 455-462.
- Zima BT, Murphy JM, Scholle SH, et al. … Hoagwood KE. National quality measures for child mental health: background, progress and next steps. Pediatr. 2013; 131(1): S38-49. PMCID: PMC4046520
2014 Publications (Articles, Chapters, and Books)
- Acri M, Olin SS, Burton G, Herman RJ, Hoagwood KE. Innovations in the identification and referral of mothers at risk for depression: Development of a peer-to-peer model. J Child Fam Stud. 2014; 23(5): 837-843. doi: 10.1007/s10826-013-9736-z.
- Acri MC, Palinkas L, Hoagwood KE, et al. Interorganizational relationships among family support organizations and child mental health agencies. Adm Policy Ment Healt. 2014; 41(4): 447-454. PMCID: PMC334636.
- Angell SY, Yi S, Eisenhower D, et al. … Kerker BD. Sodium intake in a cross-sectional, representative sample of New York City adults. Am J Pub Health. 2014; 104(12): 2409-16. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2013.301542.
- Arnold LE, Ganocy SJ, Mount K et al. …Horwitz SM. Three-year latent class trajectories of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms in a clinical sample not selected for ADHD. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2014; 53(7): 745-60. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaac.2014.03.007
- Bebko G, Bertocci MA, Fournier JC et al. … Horwitz SM. Parsing Dimensional vs Diagnostic Category-Related Patterns of Reward Circuitry Function in Behaviorally and Emotionally Dysregulated Youth in the Longitudinal Assessment of Manic Symptoms Study. JAMA Psychiatry. 2014; 71(1): 71 80. PMCID: PMC4238412.
- Bensen R, Roman H, Bersamin M, Lu Y, Horwitz S, Chamberlain LJ. Legislative advocacy: Evaluation of a grand rounds intervention for pediatricians. Acad Pediatr. 2014; 14(2): 181-185. doi:10.1016/j.acap.2013.08.004.
- Bertocci MA, Bebko G, Olino T, et al. …Horwitz SM. Behavioral and emotional dysregulation trajectories marked by prefrontal-amygdala function in symptomatic youth. Psychol Med. 2014; 44(12): 2603-15. doi: 10.1017/S0033291714000087.
- Brenner SL, Southerland DG, Burns BJ, Wagner HR, Farmer EM. Use of psychotropic medications among youth in treatment foster care. J Child Fam Stud. 2014; 23(4): 666-674. doi: 10.1007/s10826-013-9882-3.
- Cheung K, Duan N. Design of implementation studies for quality improvement programs: An effectiveness-cost-effectiveness framework. Am J Pub Health. 2014; 104(1): e23-e30. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2013.301579.
- Chor KH, Olin SC, Hoagwood KE. Training and education in clinical psychology in the context of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA). Clin Psychol-Sci Pr. 2014; 21(2): 91-105. doi: 10.1111/cpsp.12068.
- Chor KH, Olin SC, Weaver J, et al. …McKay MM…Hoagwood KE…Horwitz SM. Adoption of clinical and business trainings by child mental health clinics in New York State. Psychiatr Serv. 2014; 65(12): 1439-1444.
- Edmunds JM, Read KL, Ringle VA, Brodman DM, Kendall PC, Beidas RS. Sustaining clinician penetration, attitudes and knowledge in cognitive-behavioral therapy for youth anxiety. Implement Sci. 2014; 9(1): 89. doi: 10.1186/s13012-014-0089-9. PMCID: PMC4223397.
- Fazel M, Hoagwood K, Stephan S, Ford T. Mental health interventions in schools in high-income countries. Lancet Psychiatr. 2014; 1(5): 377–387. doi: 10.106/S2215-0366(14)70312-8.
- Finnerty M, Neese-Todd S, Bilder S, Olfson M, Crystal S. Best practices: MEDNET: A multistate policy maker–researcher collaboration to improve prescribing practices. Psychiatr Serv. 2014; 65(11): 1297-1299.
- Frazier TW, Youngstrom EA, Fristad MA, et al. …Horwitz SM. Improving clinical prediction of bipolar spectrum disorders in youth. J Clin Med. 2014; 3(1), 218–232. doi: 10.3390/jcm3010218.
- Gadomski AM, Wissow LS, Palinkas L, Hoagwood KE, Daly JM, Kaye DL. Encouraging and sustaining integration of child mental health into primary care: interviews with primary care providers participating in Project TEACH (CAPES and CAP PC) in NY. Gen Hosp Psychiatry. 2014; 36(6): 555-562. doi: 10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2014.05.013.
- Gleacher AA, Wisdom JP, Olin SS, Burns B, Hoagwood KE. (in press). Residential mental health treatment for youth: Systematic review [Technical Report]. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration for Assessing the Evidence Base: Review Series.
- Glisson C, Williams NJ, Green P, Hemmelgarn A, Hoagwood K. The organizational social context of mental health medicaid waiver programs with family support services: Implications for research and practice. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2014; 41(1): 32-42. PMCID: PMC3889158.
- Goldhaber-Fiebert JD, Babiarz KS, Garfield RL, Wulczyn F, Landsverk J, Horwitz SM. Explaining variations in state foster care maintenance rates and the implications for implementing new evidence-based programs. Child Youth Serv Rev. 2014; 39:183-206.
- Gopalan G, Fuss A, Wisdom JP. Multiple family groups for child behavior difficulties retention among child welfare–involved caregivers. Res Soc Work Pract. 2015; 25(5): 564-577. doi: 10.1177/1049731514543526.
- Gopalan G, Franco LM, Dean-Assael K, McGuire-Schwartz M, Chacko A, McKay M. Statewide implementation of the 4 Rs and 2 Ss for strengthening families. J Evid Based Soc Work. 2014; 11(1-2): 84-96. doi: 10.1080/15433714.2013.842440.
- Gopalan G, Acri M, Lalayants M, Hooley CH, Einbinder E. Child-welfare involved caregiver perceptions of family support. J Family Strengths. 2014; 14(1): 1-25. PMCID: PMC4351812.
- Grace AM, Lippert S, Collins K, et al. …Storfer-Isser A…Horwitz SM. Educating health professionals on human trafficking. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2014; 30(12): 856-861. doi: 10.1097/PEC.0000000000000287.
- Hafeman DM, Bebko G, Bertocci MA, et al. …Horwitz SM. Scared at the time of scan: Correlation between clinical scales and brain activation during an emotion processing task. Biol Psychiat. 2014; 75(9): 232S-232S.
- Hafeman DM, Bebko G, Bertocci MA, et al. …Horwitz SM. Abnormal deactivation of ventrolateral prefrontal cortex during emotion processing in youth with bipolar disorder: Attenuated by medication and correlated with manic symptoms. J Psychiatr Res. 2014; 58:129-36. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2014.07.023.
- Hoagwood KE, Burns BJ. Vectoring for true north: Building a research base on family support. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2014; 41(1): 55-68. PMCID: PMC3880611.
- Hoagwood KE, Olin SS, Horwitz S, et al. … McKay M…Cleek A…Gleacher A, Lewandowski E… Nadeem E… Acri M… Chor KH… Kuppinger A…Burton G…Weiss D… Frank S… Finnerty M. Scaling up evidence-based practices for children and families in New York State: Toward evidence-based policies on implementation for state mental health systems. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2014; 43(2): 145-157.
- Horwitz SM, Hurlburt MS, Goldhaber-Fiebert JD, et al. Exploration and adoption of evidence-based practice by U.S. child welfare agencies. Child Youth Serv Rev. 2014; 39:147-152. doi: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2013.10.004.
- Horwitz SM, Storfer-Isser A, Demeter C, et al. Use of outpatient mental health services among children of different ages: are younger children more seriously ill? Psychiatr Serv. 2014; 65(8): 1026-33. PMCID: PMC4121963.
- Kealey E, Scholle SH, Byron SC, et al. … Hoagwood K… Finnerty M. Quality concerns in antipsychotic prescribing for youth: a review of treatment guidelines. Acad Pediatr. 2014; 14(5): S68-75. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2014.05.009.
- Kravitz RL, Duan N, eds, and the DEcIDE Methods Center N-of-1 Guidance Panel (Duan N, Eslick I, Gabler NB, Kaplan HC, Kravitz RL, Larson EB, Pace WD, Schmid CH, Sim I, Vohra S). Design and implementation of N-of-1 Trials: A user’s guide. AHRQ Publication No. 13(14)-EHC122-EF. 2014. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality; January 2014. Available at: http://www.effectivehealthcare.ahrq.gov/N-1-Trials.cfm.
- Kutash K, Acri M, Pollock M, Armusewicz K, Olin SC, Hoagwood KE. Quality indicators for multidisciplinary team functioning in community based children’s mental health services. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2014; 41:55-68. PMCID: PMC3953037.
- Leckman‐Westin E, Kealey E, Gupta N, et al. …Finnerty M. Validation of a claims-based antipsychotic polypharmacy measure. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2014; 23(6): 628-635. doi: 10.1002/pds.3609.
- Lynn CJ, Acri MC, Goldstein L, Bannon W, Beharie N, McKay MM. Improving youth mental health through family-based prevention in family homeless shelters. Child Youth Serv Rev. 2014; 44: 243-248. doi: 10.1016/j.childyouth.2014.05.024.
- Nadeem E, Olin SS, Hill LC, Hoagwood KE, Horwitz SM. A literature review of learning collaboratives in mental health care: Used but untested. Psychiatr Serv. 2014; 65(9): 1088-99. PMCID: PMC4226273.
- O’Connor BC, Fabiano GA, Waschbusch DA, et al. Effects of a Summer Treatment Program on functional sports outcomes in young children with ADHD. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2014; 42(6): 1005-17. doi: 10.1007/s10802-013-9830-0.
- Olin SS, Kutash K, Pollock M et al. … Burns BJ… Kuppinger A … Hoagwood KE. Developing quality indicators for family support services in community team-based mental health care. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2014; 41(1): 7-20. PMCID: PMC3858539.
- Olin SS, Williams N, Pollock M, et al. …Hoagwood KE. Quality indicators for family support services and their relationship to organizational social context. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2014; 41(1): 43-54. PMCID: PMC3858410.
- Owens JS, Lyon AR, Brandt NE, et al. …Nadeem E. Implementation science in school mental health: Key constructs in a developing research agenda. School Ment Health, 2014; 6(2): 99-111. doi: 10.1007/s12310-013-9115-3.
- Palinkas LA. Qualitative and mixed methods in mental health services and implementation research. J Clin Child Adoles Psychol. 2014; 43(6): 851-861.
- Parker G, Ali S, Ringell K, McKay M. Bi-directional exchange: The cornerstone of globally focused social work. Glob Soc Welf. 2014; 1(1):1-8. doi 10.1007/s40609-014-0011-z.
- Perlman SB, Hein TC, Stepp SD, et al. ...Horwitz SM. Emotional reactivity and its impact on neural circuitry for attention-emotion interaction in childhood and adolescence. Dev Cogn Neurosci. 2014; 8:100-109. PMCID: PMC3949237.
- Santiago CD, Gudiño OG, Baweja S, Nadeem E. Academic achievement among immigrant and U.S.-born Latino adolescents: Associations with cultural, family, and acculturation factors. J Community Psychol. 2014; 42(6): 735–747.
- Shaw RJ, St John N, Lilo E, et al. …Horwitz SM. Prevention of traumatic stress in mothers of preterms: 6-month outcomes. Pediatr. 2014; 134(2): e481-8. doi: 10.1542/peds.2014-0529.
- Shaw RJ, Lilo EA, Storfer-Isser A, et al. …Horwitz SM. Screening for symptoms of postpartum traumatic stress in a sample of mothers with preterm infants. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2014; 35(3): 198-207. doi: 10.3109/01612840.2013.853332.
- Small L, Mercado M, Gopalan P, Pardo G, Mellins CA, McKay MM. Enhancing the emotional wellbeing of perinatally HIV-infected youth across global contexts. Glob Soc Welf. 2014; 1(1): 25-35.
- Southerland DG, Burns BJ, Farmer EM, Wagner HR, Simpson AN. Family involvement in treatment foster care. Resid Treat Child Youth. 2014; 31(1): 2-16.
- Stein BD, Leckman-Westin E, Okeke E, et al. …Chor KH… Finnerty M. The effects of prior authorization policies on Medicaid-enrolled children's use of antipsychotic medications: evidence from two mid-Atlantic states. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2014; 24(7): 374-81. PMCID: PMC4162428.
- Stein RE, Hurlburt MS, Heneghan AM, et al. … Horwitz SM. Health status and type of out-of-home placement: Informal kinship care in an investigated sample. Acad Pediatr. 2014; 14(6): 559-564. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2014.04.002.
- Stephens TN, McGuire-Schwartz M, Rotko L, Fuss A, McKay MM. A learning collaborative supporting the implementation of an evidence-informed program, the "4Rs and 2Ss for children with conduct difficulties and their families." J Evid Based Soc Work. 2014; 11(5): 511-23. doi: 10.1080/15433714.2013.831007.
- Weist MD, Youngstrom EA, Stephan S, et al. … Hoagwood K. Challenges and ideas from a research program on high quality, evidence-based practice in school mental health. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2014; 43(2): 244-55. PMCID: PMC3954908.
- Wisdom JP, Lewandowski RE, Pollock M, et al. …Acri M…Shorter P…Olin SS…Horwitz S…Hoagwood KE. What family support specialists do: Examining service delivery. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2014; 41: 21-31. PMCID: PMC3880627.
- Wisdom JP, Chor KH, Hoagwood KE, Horwitz SM. Innovation adoption: A review of theories and constructs. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2014; 41(4): 480-502. PMCID: PMC3894251.
- Yi S, Elfassy T, Gupta L, Myers C, Kerker B. Nativity, language spoken at home, length of time in the United States, and race/ethnicity: associations with self-reported hypertension. Am J Hypertens. 2014; 27(2): 237-244. doi: 10.1093/ajh/hpt209.
Publications (Articles, Chapters, and Books) – 2015
- Acri M, Hoagwood K. Addressing parental mental health within interventions for children: A review. Res Soc Work Pract. 2015; 25(5): 578-586.
- Acri M, Gopalan G, Lalayants M, McKay M. Depression and service use among caregivers dually involved in the child welfare and mental health systems. Ment Health Soc Work. 2015; 13(5), 481-494. doi: 10.1080/15332985.2014.997956.
- Acri M, Frank S, Olin SS, et al. … Burton G… Weaver J… Hoagwood KE. Examining the feasibility and acceptability of a screening and outreach model developed for a peer workforce. J Child Fam Stud. 2015; 24(2): 341-350.
- Asarnow JR, Hoagwood KE, Stancin T, et al. Psychological science and innovative strategies for informing health care redesign: A policy brief. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychology. 2015; 44(6): 923-32. doi: 10.1080/15374416.2015.1077451.
- Bebko G, Bertocci M, Chase H, et al…Horwitz S. Decreased amygdala-insula resting state connectivity in behaviorally and emotionally dysregulated youth. Psychiatry Res. 2015; 231(1): 77-86. PMCID: 25433424.
- Beharie N, Lennon MC, McKay M. Assessing the relationship between the perceived shelter environment and mental health among homeless caregivers. Behav Med. 2015; 41(3): 107-114. doi: 10.1080/08964289.2015.1046415
- Beidas RS, Marcus S, Aarons GA, et al. …Hoagwood KE. Predictors of community therapists' use of therapy techniques in a large public mental health system. JAMA Pediatr. 2015; 169(4): 374-82. doi: 10.1001/jamapediatrics.2014.3736.
- Bertocci MA, Bebko G, Dwojak A, et al. …Horwitz S. An examination of change in neural function supporting change in measures of dysregulation. Biological Psychiatry. 2015; 77(9): 351S-351S.
- Brenner SL, Burns BJ, Curry JF, Silva SG, Kratochvil CJ, Domino ME. Mental health service use among adolescents following participation in a randomized clinical trial for depression. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2015; 44(4): 551-558. doi: 10.1080/15374416.2014.881291.
- Bruns EJ, Pullmann MD, Kerns SEU, Hensley S, Lutterman T, Hoagwood K. How research-based is our policy-making? Implementation of evidence-based treatments by State behavioral health systems, 2001-2012. Implement Sci. 2015; 10(Suppl 1):A40 doi:10.1186/1748-5908-10-S1-A40.
- Bruns EJ, Kerns SEU, Pullmann MD, Hensley S, Lutterman T, Hoagwood K. Research, data, and evidence-based treatment use in state behavioral health systems, 2001-2012. Psychiatr Serv. 2015; 67(5): 496-503. doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.201500014
- Chacko A, Gopalan G, Franco L, et al. …Hoagwood K… McKay M. Multiple family group service model for children with disruptive behavior disorders: Child outcomes at post-treatment. J Emot Behav Disord. 2015; 23(2): 67-77.
- Chor KHB, Wisdom JP, Olin SS, Hoagwood KE, Horwitz SM. Measures for predictors of innovation adoption. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2015; 42(5): 545-573.
- Chor KHB, McClelland G, Weiner DA, Jordan N, Lyons JS. Out-of-home placement decision-making and outcomes in child welfare: A longitudinal study. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2015; 42(1): 70-86. PMID: 24677172.
- Copeland WE, Shanahan L, Davis M, Burns B, Angold A, Costello EJ. Untreated psychiatric cases increase during the transition to adulthood. Psychiatr Serv. 2015; 66(4): 397-403. PMCID: PMC4385392.
- Duan N, Bhaumik DK, Palinkas LA, Hoagwood K. Optimal design and purposeful sampling: Complementary methodologies for implementation research. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2015; 42(5): 524-532. doi: 10.1007/s10488-014-0596-7.
- Finnerty MT, Manuel JI, Tochterman AZ, et al. Clinicians' perceptions of challenges and strategies of transition from assertive community treatment to less intensive services. Community Ment Health J. 2015; 51(1): 85-95. PMID: 24526472; PMCID: PMC4289526.
- Gopalan G, Small L, Fuss A, et al. Multiple Family Groups to reduce child disruptive behavior difficulties: Moderating effects of child welfare status on child outcomes. Child Abuse Negl. 2015; 46: 207-19. doi: 10.1016/j.chiabu.2015.06.006.
- Gopalan G, Chacko A, Franco L, et al. …Hoagwood KE …McKay MM. Multiple Family Groups for children with disruptive behavior disorders: Child outcomes at 6-month follow-up. J Child Fam Stud. 2015; 24(9): 2721-2733.
- Green CA, Duan N, Gibbons RD, Hoagwood KE, Palinkas LA, Wisdom JP. Approaches to mixed methods dissemination and implementation research: Methods, strengths, caveats, and opportunities. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2015; 42(5): 508-523.
- Heneghan A, Stein RE, Hurlburt MS, et al. …Kerker BD… Horwitz SM. Health-risk behaviors in teens investigated by U.S. Child Welfare Agencies. J Adolesc Health. 2015; 56(5): 508-514.
- Hoagwood K, Olin S, Horwitz S. Special issue overview: Optimizing mixed methods for implementation research in large systems. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2015; 42(5): 505-507. doi: 10.1007/s10488-014-0616-7. PMID: 25425014.
- Horwitz SM, Storfer-Isser A, Kerker BD, Szilagyi M, Garner A, O’Connor KG, Hoagwood KE, Stein REK. Barriers to the Identification and Management of Psychosocial Problems: Changes from 2004-2013. Pediatrics. 2015; 15(6):613-20. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2015.08.006.
- Horwitz SM, Leibovitz A, Lilo E, et al. Does an intervention to reduce maternal anxiety, depression and trauma also improve mothers’ perceptions of their premature infants’ vulnerability? Infant Ment Health J. 2015; 36(1): 42-52.
- Horwitz SM, Storfer-Isser A, Kerker BD, et al. A model for the development of mothers' perceived vulnerability of preterm infants. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2015; 36(5): 371-380.
- Ibrahim A, Esena R, Aikins M, O’Keefe A, McKay M. Assessment of mental distress among prison inmates in Ghana’s correctional system: A cross-sectional study using the Kessler Psychological Distress Scale. Int J Ment Health Syst, 2015; 9 (17): 1-6.
- Karimli L, Ssewamala FM, Neilands TB, McKay M. Matched children savings accounts in low resource communities: Who saves? Glob Soc Welf, 2015; 2(2): 53-64.
- Kelleher KJ, Hoagwood K. Will healthcare reform rescue families in crisis?. Acad Pediatr. 2015; 15(1): 1-2. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2014.11.001.
- Kelleher KJ, Hoagwood K. Beyond blame: Parents as partners.
30. Kerker BD, Chor KHB, Hoagwood KE, et al. …Olin SS… Horwitz SM. Detection and treatment of mental health issues by pediatric PCPs in New York State: An evaluation of project TEACH. Psychiatr Serv. 2015; 66(4): 430-433.
31. Kerker BD, Zhang J, Nadeem E, et al. …McCue Horwitz S. Adverse childhood experiences and mental health, chronic medical conditions, and development in young children. Acad Pediatr. 2015; 15(5): 510-517. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2015.05.005. PMID: 26183001.
32. Marr M, Surko M, Storfer-Isser A, Havens JF, Richardson L, Horwitz SM. Think trauma evaluation questionnaire: Factor structure and feasibility of large scale administration. J Child Adolesc Trauma. 2015; 8(4): 229-235.
33. McGuire-Schwartz M, Small LA, Parker G, Kim P, McKay M. Relationships between caregiver violence exposure, caregiver depression, and youth behavioral health among homeless families. Res Soc Work Pract. 2015; 25(5): 587-594. doi:10.1177/1049731514553921.
34. O'Connor BC, Garner AA, Peugh JL, Simon J, Epstein JN. Improved but still impaired: Symptom-impairment correspondence among youth with ADHD receiving community-based care. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2015; 36(2): 106-114.
35. Olin SS, Shen S, Rodriguez J, Radigan M, Burton G, Hoagwood KE. Parent depression and anger in peer-delivered parent support services. J Child Fam Stud. 2015; 24(11): 3383-3395.
36. Olin SS, Chor KHB, Weaver J, et al. …Duan N… Kerker B…Hoagwood KE…Horwitz SM. Multilevel predictors of clinic adoption of state-supported trainings in children's services. Psychiatr Serv. 2015; 66 (5): 484-90. PMCID: PMC4417050.
37. Palinkas LA, Horwitz SM, Green CA, Wisdom JP, Duan N, Hoagwood K. Purposeful sampling for qualitative data collection and analysis in mixed method implementation research. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2015; 42(5): 533-544. PMCID: PMC4012002.
38. Palinkas LA, Olin S, Chor B, et al. …O’Connor B…Horwitz SM…Hoagwood K. Influence of organizational role, consensus and innovation status on perceived facilitators and barriers to adoption of innovative and evidence-based practices in state-supported mental health clinics. Implement Sci. 2015; 10(Suppl 1), A41. doi: 10.1186/1748-5908-10-S1-A41
39. Pane Seifert HT, Farmer EMZ, Wagner HR, Maultsby LT, Burns BJ. Patterns of maltreatment and diagnosis across levels of care in group homes. Child Abuse Negl. 2015; 42, 72-83. doi: 10.1016/j.chiabu.2014.12.008.
40. Reeves GM, Wehring HJ, Connors KM, et al. …Hoagwood K… Olin SS. The family value of information, community support, and experience study: Rationale, design, and methods of a "family-centered" research study. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2015; 203(12): 896-900. PMID: 26524515.
41. Schiffman J, Kline E, Reeves G, et al. …Hoagwood K. Comparing outcomes of caregivers of youth to caregivers of adult consumers among caregivers participating in the NAMI FTF program. Int J Ment Health. 2015; 44(4): 303-315.
42. Small L, Jackson J, Gopalan G, McKay MM. Meeting the complex needs of urban youth and their families through the 4Rs 2Ss Family Strengthening Program: The "real world" meets evidence-informed care. Res Soc Work Pract. 2015; 25(4):433-45. doi: 10.1177/1049731514537900.
43. Stanhope V, Thorning H, Videka L, McKay M. Moving towards integrated health: An opportunity for Social Work. Soc Work Health Care. 2015; 54: 383-407.
44. Stephens T, Owusu NA, Parchment T, McKay M. Meeting the needs of children and families with communication and other developmental disabilities in Accra, Ghana – An assessment of the AwaaWaa2 community based program. Glob Soc Welf, 2015; 2(3): 111-118.
45.Umpierre M, Meyers LV, Ortiz A, et al. …McKay MM. Understanding Latino parents’ child mental health literacy: Todos a bordo/all aboard. Res Soc Work Pract. 2015; 25(5): 607-618. doi:10.1177/1049731514547907.
46. Versace A, Acuff H, Bertocci MA, et al. …Horwitz SM. White matter structure in youth with behavioral and emotional dysregulation disorders: a probabilistic tractographic study. JAMA Psychiatr. 2015; 72(4): 367-376.
47. Wu S, Duan N, Wisdom JP, et al. …Hoagwood KE. Integrating science and engineering to implement evidence-based practices in health care settings. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2015; 42(5): 588-592. doi: 10.1007/s10488-014-0593-x.
Publications (Articles, Chapters and Books) – 2016
- Acri M, Bornheimer LA, Jessell L, Flaherty HB, McKay MM. The impact of caregiver treatment satisfaction upon child and parent outcomes. Child Adolesc Ment Health. 2016; 21(4): 201-208.
- Acri MC, Bornheimer LA, O'Brien K, Sezer S, Little V, Cleek AF, McKay MM. A model of integrated health care in a poverty-impacted community in New York City: Importance of early detection and addressing potential barriers to intervention implementation. Soc Work Health Care. 2016; 55(4): 314-327.
- Acri M, Hoagwood K, Morrissey M, Zhang S. Equine-assisted activities and therapies: Enhancing the social worker’s armamentarium. Social Work Education. 2016; 35(5): 603-612.
- Acri M, Hooley CD, Richardson N, Moaba, LB. Peer Models in Mental Health for Caregivers and Families. Community Ment Health J. 2016. E-pub ahead of print June 25. doi:10.1007/s10597-016-0040-4.
- Acri MC, Zhang S, Adler JG & Gopalan G (2016). Peer-delivered models for caregivers of children and adults with health conditions: A review. Journal of Child and Family Studies. E-pub ahead of print November 25. doi:10.1007/s10826-016-0616-1.
- Beidas RS, Stewart RE, Adams DR, et al. …Hoagwood KE. A multi-level examination of stakeholder perspectives of implementation of evidence-based practices in a large urban publicly-funded mental health system. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2016; 43(6):893-908.
- Bertocci MA, Bebko G, Versace A, Fournier JC, Iyengar S, Olino T, Bonar L, Almeida JR, Perlman SB, Schirda C, Travis MJ, Gill MK, Diwadkar VA, Forbes EE, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz SM, Frazier TW, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Youngstrom EA, Findling RL, Phillips ML. Predicting clinical outcome from reward circuitry function and white matter structure in behaviorally and emotionally dysregulated youth. Mol Psychiatry. 2016; 21(9):1194-1201. doi: 10.1038/mp.2016.5.
- Bertocci MA, Bebko G, Versace, A, Iyengar S, Bonar L, Forbes EE, Almeida JR, Perlman SB, Schirda C, Travis M, Gill MK, Diwadkar VA, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Frazier TW, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Youngstrom EA, Horwitz SM, Findling RL, Phillips ML (2016). Reward-related neural activity and structure predict future substance use in dysregulated youth. Psychological Medicine. E-pub ahead of print December 21. doi: 10.1017/S0033291716003147.
- Bickman L, Douglas SR, De Andrade AR, Tomlinson M, Gleacher A, Olin S, Hoagwood K. Implementing a measurement feedback system: A tale of two sites. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2016; 43(3):410-25. doi: 10.1007/s10488-015-0647-8.
- Bruns EJ, Kerns SEU, Pullmann MD, Hensley S, Lutterman T, Hoagwood K (2016). Research, Data, and Evidence-Based Treatment Use in State Behavioral Health Systems, 2001-2012. Psychiatric Services, 67(5):496-503. doi: 10.1176/appi.ps.201500014.
- Dickstein DP, Axelson D, Weissman AB, et al. …Horwitz SM. Cognitive flexibility and performance in children with threshold and sub-threshold bipolar disorder. Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2016; 25(6): 625-638. PMID: 26438382.
- Dierkhising CB, Branson CE. Looking forward: A research and policy agenda for creating trauma-informed juvenile justice systems. J Juv Justice. 2016; 5(1):14-30
- Easter A, Pollock M, Pope LG, Wisdom JP, Smith TE. Perspectives of treatment providers and clients with serious mental illness regarding effective therapeutic relationships. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2016; 43(3):341-53. doi: 10.1007/s11414-015-9492-5.
- Elkins RM, Gallo KP, Pincus DB, Comer JS. Moderators of intensive CBT for adolescent panic disorder: the of fear and avoidance. Child Adolesc Ment Health. 2016;1;21(1):30-36.
- Farmer EM, Seifert H, Wagner HR, Burns BJ, Murray M. Does model matter? Examining change across time for youth in group homes [published online March 14 2016]. J Emot Behav Disord. 2016.
- Farmer EMF, Burns BJ, Wagner HR, Murray M. Who goes where? Exploring factors related to placement among group homes. J Emot Behav Disord. 2016; 24(1): 54-63. doi: 10.1177/1063426615585082.
- Fristad MA, Wolfson H, Algorta GP, et al. …Horwitz S. Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder and bipolar disorder not otherwise specified: fraternal or identical twins?. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2016; 26(2):138-46.
- Gallo KP, Hill LC, Hoagwood KE, Olin SS. A narrative synthesis of the components of and evidence for patient- and family-centered care. Clin Pediatr. 2016; 55(4): 333–346. doi: 10.1177/0009922815591883.
- Gallo KP, Olin SCS, Storfer-Isser A, O’Connor BC, Whitmyre E, Hoagwood KE & Horwitz SM (2016). Parent burden in accessing outpatient psychiatric services for adolescent depression in a large state system. Psychiatric Services. E-pub ahead of print December 1. http://dx.doi.org/10.1176/appi.ps.201600111.
- Garner A, Storfer-Isser A, Szilagyi M, Stein REK, Green CM, Kerker BD, O’Connor KG, Hoagwood KE, Horwitz SM. Promoting Early Brain and Child Development: Perceived Barriers and the Utilization of Resources to Address Those Barriers. Journal of Developmental & Behavioral Pediatrics. E-pub ahead of print November 24. pii: S1876-2859(16)30503-4. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2016.11.013
- Gleacher AA, Olin SS, Nadeem E, Pollock M, Ringle V, Bickman L, Douglas S, and Hoagwood K. Implementing a measurement feedback system in community mental health clinics: A case study of multilevel barriers and facilitators. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2016; 43(3): 426-440. doi: 10.1007/s10488-015-0642-0.
- Grasso DJ, Dierkhising CB, Branson CE, Ford JD, Lee R. Developmental patterns of adverse childhood experiences and current symptoms and impairment in youth receiving trauma-specific services. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2016; 44(5): 871-886.
- Green JG, Xuan Z, Kwong L, Hoagwood K, Leaf PJ. School referral patterns among adolescents with serious emotional disturbance enrolled in systems of care. J Child Fam Stud. 2016; 25(1): 290-298. doi: 10.1007/s10826-015-0209 4.
- Hoagwood K, Acri M, Morrissey M, Peth-Pierce R. Animal-assisted therapies for youth with or at risk for mental health problems: A systematic review. Appl Dev Sci. 2016; [E-pub ahead of print January 25, 2016, 1-13]. doi: 10.1080/10888691.2015.1134267.
- Hoagwood KE, Essock S, Morrissey J, et al. …Finnerty M. Use of pooled state administrative data for mental health services research: Lessons from the field. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2016; 43(1):67-78. doi: 10.1007/s10488-014-0620-y.
- Hoagwood KE, Kelleher K, Zima B, Perrin JM, Bilder S, Crystal S. (2016). Ten-year trends in treatment services for children with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) enrolled in Medicaid. Health Affairs, 35(7): 1266-1270. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2015.1423.
- Horwitz S, Storfer-Isser A, Kerker BD, Szilagyi M, Garner AS, O'Connor KG, Hoagwood KE, Green CM, Foy JM, Stein RE. Do on-site mental health professionals change pediatricians' responses to children's mental health problems? Acad Pediatr. 2016; 16(7):676-83. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2016.03.010.
- Ibrahim A, Hor S, Bahar OS, Dwomoh D, McKay MM, Esena RK, Agyeponge IA. Pathways to psychiatric care for mental disorders: a retrospective study of patients seeking mental health services at a public psychiatric facility in Ghana. Int J Ment Health Syst. 2016; Oct 3;10:63.
- Jo B, Findling R, Wang CP, Hastie T, Youngstorm E, Arnold L, Fristad M, Horwitz, SM (2016). Targeted Use of Growth Mixture Modeling: A Learning Perspective. Statistics in Medicine. E-pub ahead of print November 20. DOI: 10.1002/sim.7152.
- Kelleher KJ, Boat TF, Houtrow AJ, Hoagwood KE. Poverty and supplemental security income: Can DBPs take a more active role? J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2016; 37(4): 267-268. doi: 10.1542/peds.2008-1536.
- Kelleher K, Stein REK, Hoagwood KE. Supplemental security income for children with mental disabilities. Pediatr. 2016; 137(3): e20153342. doi: 10.1542/peds.2015-3342.
- Kerker BD, Storfer-Isser A, Stein REK, Garner A, Szilagyi M, OʼConnor KG, Hoagwood KE, Horwitz SM. Identifying maternal depression in pediatric primary care: Changes over a decade. J Dev Behav Pediatr. 2016; 37(2): 113-120.
- Kerker BD, Storfer-Isser A, Szilagyi M, et al. …Hoagwood KE… Horwitz S. Do pediatricians ask about adverse childhood experiences in pediatric primary care? Acad Pediatr. 2016; 16(2): 154-160. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2015.08.002.
- Lewandowski RE, O'Connor B, Bertagnolli A, Beck A, Tinoco A, Gardner WP, Jelinek-Berents CX, Newton DA, Wain KF, Boggs JM, Brace NE, deSa P, Scholle SH, Hoagwood K, Horwitz SM. Screening for and diagnosis of depression in adolescents in a large Health Maintenance Organization. Psychiatr Serv. 2016; 67(6): 636-641.
- Nadeem E, Cappella E, Holland S, Cocarro C, Crisonino G. Developing and piloting a classroom-focused measurement feedback system using a community partnered approach. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2016; 43(3): 379-393.
- Nadeem E, Santiago CD, Kataoka SH, Chang VY, Stein BD. School personnel experiences in notifying parents about their child's risk for suicide: Lessons learned. J School Health. 2016; 86(1): 3-10. doi: 10.1111/josh.12346. PMID: 26645415.
- Nadeem E, Ringle VA. De-adoption of an evidence-based trauma intervention in schools: A retrospective report from an urban school district. School Ment Health. 2016; 8(1); 132-143. doi: 10.1007/s12310-016-9179-y.
- Nadeem E, Waterman J, Foster J, Paczkowski E, Belin TR, Miranda J. Long-term effects of pre-placement risk factors on children’s psychological symptoms and parenting stress among children adopted from foster care [E-pub ahead of print January 28, 2016]. J Emot Behav Disord. 2016. doi:10.1177/1063426615621050.
- Nadeem E, Weiss D, Olin S, Hoagwood K, Horwitz S. Using a theory-guided learning collaborative model to improve implementation of EBPs in a state children's mental health system: a pilot study. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2016; 43(6):978-990.
- O'Connor BC, Lewandowski RE, Rodriguez S, Tinoco A, Gardner W, Hoagwood K, Scholle SH. Usual care for adolescent depression from symptom identification through treatment initiation. JAMA Pediatr. 2016; 170(4): 372-380. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics.2015.4158.
- Olin SS, Hemmelgarn AL, Madenwald K, Hoagwood KE. An ARC-informed family centered care intervention for children’s community based mental health programs. J Child Fam Stud. 2016; 25 (1): 275-289.
- Olin SS, Kerker B, Stein RE, Weiss D Whitmyre E, Hoagwood K, Horwitz S. Can postpartum depression be managed in pediatric primary care?. J Womens Health. 2016; 25(4): 381-390. doi:10.1089/jwh.2015.5438.
- Olin S, O’Connor BC, Storfer-Isser A, Clark LJ, Perkins M, Hudson Scholle S, Whitmyre ED, Hoagwood K, McCue Horwitz S. Access to care for youth in a state mental health system: A simulated patient approach. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatr. 2016; 55(5): 392–399.
- Olin SS, Nadeem E, Gleacher A, Weaver J, Weiss D, Hoagwood KE, *Horwitz SM. What Predicts Clinician Dropout from State-Sponsored Managing and Adapting Practice Training Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. 2016; 43(6), 945-956. doi: 10.1007/s10488-015-0709-y
- Ong ML, Youngstrom EA, Chua JJ, Halverson TF, Horwitz SM, Storfer-Isser A, Frazier TW, Fristad MA, Arnold LE, Phillips ML, Birmaher B, Kowatch RA, Findling RL; LAMS Group. Comparing the CASI-4R and the PGBI-10 M for Differentiating Bipolar Spectrum Disorders from Other Outpatient Diagnoses in Youth. J Abnorm Child Psychol. [Epub ahead of print July 1] PubMed PMID: 27364346.
- Parchment TM, Small L, Osuji H, Bhana A & McKay M. Familial and contextual influences on child pro-social behavior: South African caregivers as adult protective shields in increasing child mental health. Glob Social Welfare: Research Policy & Practice. 2016; 3:1. doi:10.1007/s40609-016-0042-8.
- Perrin J, Houtrow A, Kelleher K, Hoagwood KE, Stein REK, Zima B. Supplemental security income benefits for mental disorders. Pediatrics. 138(1). pii: e20160354. doi: 10.1542/peds.2016-0354.
- Portugal LC, Rosa MJ, Rao A, et al. …Horwitz S. Can emotional and behavioral dysregulation in youth be decoded from functional neuroimaging?. PLoS One. 2016; 11(1):e0117603. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0117603. eCollection 2016. PubMed PMID: 26731403.
- Saxe G, Acri M. Democraticizing implementation and innovation in mental health care. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2016; 1-5. PMID: 26739587.
- Stein REK, Hurlburt MS, Heneghan AM, et al. … Kerker B… Horwitz SM. For better or worse? Change in service use by children investigated by child welfare over a decade. Acad Pediatr. 2016; 16(3): 240-246.
- Stein REK, Storfer-Isser A, Kerker BD, et al. … Hoagwood KE… Horwitz SM. Beyond ADHD: How well are we doing? Acad Pediatr. 2016; 16(2): 115-121. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2015.08.012.
- Stein RE, Storfer-Isser A, Kerker BD, Garner A, Szilagyi M, Hoagwood KE, O'Connor KG, Green CM, McCue Horwitz S. Does Length of Developmental Behavioral Pediatrics Training Matter? Acad Pediatr. 2016. pii: S1876-2859(16)30373-4. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2016.07.007. [Epub ahead of print July 29, 2016].
- Szilagyi M, Kerker BD, Storfer-Isser A, Stein RE, Garner A, O'Connor KG, Hoagwood KE, McCue Horwitz S. Factors associated with whether pediatricians inquire about parents’ adverse childhood experiences. Acad Pediatr. 2016; 16(7): 668-675.
- Van Meter A, You DS, Halverson T, Youngstrom EA, Birmaher B, Fristad MA, Kowatch RA, Horwitz SM, Frazier TW, Arnold LE, Findling RL and the LAMS Group. Diagnostic efficiency of caregiver report on the SCARED for identifying youth anxiety disorders in outpatient settings. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2016 [Epub ahead of print Aug 2:1-15]. doi: 10.1080/15374416.2016.1188698.
- Young AS, Horwitz S, Findling RL, Youngstrom EA, Arnold LE, Fristad MA. Parents’ perceived treatment match and treatment retention over 12 months among youths in the LAMS study. Psychiatr Serv. 2016; 67(3): 310-315.
- Gopalan G, Lee SJ, Harris R, Acri MC & Munson M (2017). Utilization of peers in services for youth with emotional and behavioral challenges: A scoping review. Journal of Adolescence, 55: 88-115. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2016.12.011
- Hafeman DM, Bebko G, Bertocci MA, Chase H, Fournier JC, Bonar L, Perlman SB, Travis M, Gill MK, Diwadkar VA, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz SM, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Frazier TW, Youngstrom EA, Findling RL, Phillips ML (2017). Amygdala-Prefrontal Cortical Functional Connectivity During Implicit Emotion Processing Differentiates Youth with Bipolar Spectrum from Youth with Externalizing Disorders. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2017; 208: 94–100.
- Hoagwood K, Peth-Pierce R, Glaeser E, Whitmyre E, Shorter P, Vardanian MM (2017 May). Implementing Evidence-Based Psychotherapies for Children and Adolescents within Complex Mental Health Systems. In Weisz J & Kazdin AE (eds). Evidence-Based Psychotherapies for Children and Adolescents, Third Edition. Guilford Press: NY, NY.
- McCue Horwitz S, Storfer-Isser-Isser A, Young AS, Youngstrom EA, Taylor HG, Frazier TW, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Birmaher B, Findling RL. Development of Alcohol and Drug Use in Youth with Manic Symptoms. J Am Acad Child Adolescent Psychiatry 2017; 56(2):149-156.
Articles in Press
- Algorta, G.P., MacPherson, H. A., Youngstrom, E. A., Belt, C., Arnold, L. E., . . . Fristad, M. A. (in press). Parenting Stress among Caregivers of Children with Bipolar Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology.
- Booil J, Findling R, Hastie TJ, Youngstrom EA, Wang C, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Frazier TW, Birmaher B, Gill MK, Horwitz SM (in press). Construction of Longitudinal Prediction Targets Using Semi-Supervised Learning. Statistical Methods in Medical Research.
- Branson, CE, Baetz CL, Horwitz, SM & Hoagwood KE. (in press). Trauma-informed juvenile justice systems: A systematic review of definitions and core components. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy.
- Fristad MA, Frazier TW, Youngstrom EA, Mount K, Field BW, Demeter C, Birmaher B, Kowatch RA, Arnold LE, Axelson D, Gill MK, Horwitz SM & Findling RL (in press). Familial risk factors for onset of bipolar spectrum disorder in high risk youth. Bipolar Disorders.
- Green C, Storfer-Isser A, Stein REK, Kerker BD, Szilagyi M, Garner AS, O'Connor KG, Hoagwood KE and Horwitz SM (in press). Which Pediatricians Co-Manage Mental Health Conditions? Academic Pediatrics.
- Hopkinson R, Keatley E, Glaeser E, Erickson-Schroth L, Fattal O, Sullivan M (in press). Trauma and forced migrant survivors of persecution for perceived LGBT identity. J Homosexuality.
- Roney L, Westrick SJ, Acri M, Aronson B, Rebeschi LM (in press). Technology use and technological self-efficacy among undergraduate nursing faculty. Nurs Ed Perspect.
Articles in Submission
- Black SR, Fristad MA, Arnold LE, Birmaher B, Findling RL, Holland SK, Horwitz SM, Taylor HG, LAMS Consortium. Prospective Associations Between Early Stress and Later Psychopathology in a Clinical Sample. Submitted to Development and Psychopathology.
- Chor, KHB, Olin SS & Hoagwood KE. An update on the policy, research, and practice contexts of evidence-based practices for children and adolescents: A systems perspective. In DL Evans (Ed), Treating and Preventing Mental Health Disorders. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Frazier TW, Youngstrom EA, Taylor HG, Horwitz SM, Demeter C, Phillips ML, Axelson DA, Birmaher B, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Findling RL. Neurocognitive measures of research domain criteria and relationships with psychopathology: preliminary findings from the longitudinal assessment of manic symptoms (LAMS) study. Submitted to Journal of Abnormal Psychology
- Leckman-Westin E, Finnerty M, Pritam R, Kealey E, Scholle SH, Byron S, Morden E, Bilder S, Neese-Todd S, Horwitz S, Kelleher K, Hoagwood K, Crystal S. Antipsychotic Medication Use: Children in Foster Care and Other Medicaid Aid Categories. Submitted to Pediatrics
- Leckman-Westin et al… Horwitz SM. Differences in Medicaid Antipsychotic Medication Measures among Children with SSI, Foster Care and Income-based Aid. Submitted to Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology
- Palinkas LA, Um MY, Jeong CH, Chor KHB, Olin S, Horwitz SM, Hoagwood KE (under revision). Provider perspectives on facilitators and barriers to adoption of innovative and evidence-based practices in state-supported mental health clinics. Adm Policy Ment Health.
- Palinkas LA, Um MY, Jeong CH, Chor KHB, Olin SS, Horwitz SM, Hoagwood KE. Adoption of Innovative and Evidence-Based Practices for Children and Adolescents in State-Supported Mental Health Clinics: A Qualitative Study. Submitted to BMC Psychiatry.
- Portugal LCL, Rosa MJ, Bebko G, Bertocci MA, Hinze AK, Bonar L, Almeida JRC, Perlman SB, Versace A, Schirda, C, Travis M, Gill MK, Demeter C, Diwadkar VA, Ciuffetelli G, Rodriguez E, Forbes EE, Sunshine JL, Holland SK, Kowatch RA, Birmaher B, Axelson D, Horwitz SM, Arnold LE, Fristad MA, Youngstrom EA, Findling RL, Pereira M, Oliveira L, Phillips ML, Mourao-Miranda J. Predicting Symptom Severity from Functional Neuroimaging Scans in Behaviorally and Emotionally Dysregulated Youth. Submitted to Biological Psychiatry
- Salcedo S, Chen YL, Youngstrom EA, Fristad MA, Gadow KD, Horwitz SM, Frazier TW, Arnold LE, Phillips ML, Birmaher B, Kowatch RA, & Findling RL. Diagnostic Efficiency of the Child and Adolescent Symptom Inventory Depression Subscales for Youth Mood Disorders. Submitted to the Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology.
- Palinkas LA, Um MY, Jeong CH, Chor KHB, Olin S, Horwitz SM, Hoagwood KE. Adoption of Innovative and Evidence-Based Practices for Children and Adolescents in State-Supported Mental Health Clinics: A Qualitative Study. Submitted to Health Research Policy and Systems.
- Van Meter AR, Youngstrom EA, Birmaher B, Fristad MA, Horwitz SM, Frazier TW, Arnold LE, Findling RL. Definition of Research Diagnostic Criteria for Cyclothymic Disorder. Submitted to Bipolar Disorders.